>

12 sept. 2016

REVIEW : Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas

28260587
Empire of Storms - Sarah J Maas
Publisher : Bloomsbury
Release Date : September 6th 2016
Genres : YA, Fantasy
Pages : 704
Rating : ★★★★

The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?
"The world will be saved and remade by the dreamers."

Right before reading Empire of Storms, I read the first three chapters of Throne of Glass and I was amazed to see how the serie changed. It's not about an Assassin battling for her freedom anymore. It's about a Queen fighting for her Kingdom and its people. While Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows shifted the plot's direction, Empire of Storms sets everything into place as pieces of the puzzle scattered all around the previous books are finally revealed.

This book changed everything.

I haven't realized how much I've missed SJM's writing. Her words seemed to flow before my eyes. I could effortlessy imagine the places and characters described. The pacing was on point and I found myself turning the pages in desperation to know what happens next. It took me some time to remember the last book's events and the new characters introduced but once I had everything in mind again, I felt immediately invested in all of them.

I was so engrossed in the story I didn't even have time to mourn Chaol's absence. So many things go on in this book. The author balanced action and politics perfectly.

The picture is way bigger than it used to be and we follow a larger range of characters. However, the reunion of these strong personnalities didn't thrill me as it should have, mostly because of Aelin. The sass and wit that made me love her in the first place annoyed me in Empire of Storms. There were moments I couldn't stand her. I unfortunately felt the same way with Rowan at times. He doesn't have to snarl at everyone picking at her, she's a big girl. This relationship changed him and I didn't recognize the warrior from Heir of Fire.

Another issue I have is Aelin's power. I wanted more risks, more blood, more tension but no one compares with her fire so I was a bit disappointed by some of the lackluster battles. I really hope the next book's fights will be more challenging for her and less imbalanced.

However, from the other characters' perspective, the battles were breathtaking. I feared for my favourites' lives. I even shed a tear at some point.

I was pleased with my ships but also with an unexpedicted but endearing couple. I never imagined them together but they work so well hand in hand.

Manon is officially my favourite. She got much more interesting in Queen of Shadows but in this book she's awesome and I'm eager to see what she's going to do in the next book. Also, Abraxos is the cutest, nobody can deny that.

Overall I loved it. Save for Aelin and Rowan, I loved every character. SJM has a way with words : Empire of Storms is vibrant and filled with intensity, twists and sexual tension while keeping some room for humour. It was one of my most anticipated releases and the next book will be as well.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire