>

25 juil. 2016

REVIEW : I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson


20820994
I'll Give You the Sun - Jandy Nelson
Publisher : Dial Books
Release Date : September 16th 2014
Genres : YA, Contemporary
Pages : 371
Rating : ★★★★★

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. 

Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.
Why didn't I pick this book up sooner ?! Where have I been ? And if you haven't read it, where have you been ?

I'll Give You The Sun was everything I wanted. I was more emotionally invested in this book than I thought I could be. Noah and Jude are very close twins. They are like one sould divided in two bodies... Until a family tragedy occurs.

The unique structure immediately hooked me. The story is told from two perspectives (Noah and Jude) from years apart. It's like a "Now and Then" narration.

Noah's point of view is set before the disruptive event, when they were 13. They are both passionate by art. Noah is kind of the weird kid, always in his own world whereas Jude is this popular girl surrounded by friends.

Jude's point of view is set after the tragedy, three years after. I couldn't believe how much things have changed. The inseparable twins are now like strangers separated by a river full of secrets. They barely speak to one another, they are awkward around each other and we keep wondering what happened to those kids to end up this way.

All of the themes were exploited in depths.

The author balances the perspectives perfectly. I was compelled by both of them. I was curious and emotional because let's be honest, this book is a firework of emotions. It made me sad, angry, heartbroken... But it also made me laugh and shake my head a few times. Don't believe me ?
 

"But sometimes I think Dad suspects. Sometimes I think the toaster suspects."

The characters felt so real. This is definitely a book I'm going to think about for a long time. She captured the unsaid things, the regrets, the hatred and love that bond them together. It's amazing.

But it is not only about family dramas. There are also beautiful romances evolving through the pages. All of the characters are thought through. They all have a part of darkness lying somewhere. I feel like my review doesn't do the book justice. Why is it always so hard to talk about something you love ?

The cover shows what kind of book you'll get : A exquisite story touching every area of one's life.

I'll Give You The Sun is about knowing and accepting who you really are. The author shows that sometimes, you got to be selfish to find your happiness. She also shows that small lies can be life-changing.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire